Summary: This article teaches you how to easily convert and import Canon EOS C300 MXF footage into Final Cut Pro (X), iMovie and FCE for further editing on Mac (OS X 10.9 Mavericks included).
Canon EOS C300 is a favored professional camcorder for videographers. When you got a Canon C300 and captured a lot of videos with it, what you will do next? Most of us would like to make some editing with MXF footage from Canon EOS C300, but problems came up. While importing Canon EOS C300 MXF to FCP, iMovie or FCE for editing on Mac OS X, there are many video, audio issues.
The reason why we found that it is difficult to play and edit the Canon C300 MXF videos with Final Cut Pro, iMovie, FCE on Mac is due to its high rate compression and special codec. In order to make the MXF videos from Canon EOS C300 compatible with Mac, the easy workaround is to convert Canon MXF files. For this purpose, this article mainly shows you how to transcode Canon EOS C300 videos for editing, playing in FCP, iMovie, FCE in detail. Below is how.
Converting Canon EOS C300 MXF to Mac FCP, iMovie, FCE compatible video
1. First, connect Canon EOS C300 to Mac via usb cable, firewire, or a/v cable, turn on the camcorder and copy video files from Canon EOS C300 to Mac hard disk.
2. Download and install UFUSoft MXF Converter for Mac
It works as a best Canon MXF Converter under OS X Leopard (10.5), Snow Leopard (10.6), Lion (10.7), Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9). With it, you can effortlessly transcode Canon C300 MXF files to ProRes for FCP (X), AIC for iMovie/FCE. Plus, it can also help you to convert MXF to MP4, MOV, FLV, AVI etc. videos for different uses.
3. Launch UFUSoft Canon MXF Converter Mac and click add button to import Canon C300 MXF clips to the program for converting.
4. Click “format” bar to choose the output format. You can freely choose Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov) for FCP, or iMovie and Final Cut Express > Apple InterMediate Codec (AIC) (*.mov) for working with iMovie/FCE.
Tip: Click the Settings button; you can recommended to set the video size to 1920*1080, bit rate to high quality, and the frame rate to 30fps (25fps for original 50p videos), which can output the best quality videos.
5. Hit the Convert button to start the conversion; it will convert Canon C300 MXF to iMovie/FCE/FCP friendly format on Mac OS X.
After the conversion, you can transfer the converted Canon EOS C300 videos to Mac for further editing with FCP, FCE, iMovie smoothly.